Sunday, September 2, 2012

Käthe-Kollwitz



While revisiting some of my old work I came across some copies of woodcuts by one of my favorite artists Käthe-Kollwitz. I have always admired her work but many of my friends consider it far too confronting. Kollwitz's art was drawn from the suffering that she saw around her and lived through both the First and Second World Wars. Losing her son Peter in the first world war had a devastating effect on the artist. I have a wonderful short documentary on the artist and found a copy of it on You Tube. Drawn from her diaries it speaks of the struggles of the artist and shows much of her work including the sculptures commissioned for the war cemetery. The documentary shows the pain the artist felt when no longer able to work in the arts academy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...